Tuesday, November 23, 2004

What Is A Manage Et Trois? Or What Is Sex When There Is Three People?

Hehe. Anyways, not all that much new in my life. Working a shitload and pumped about my day off tomorrow. I got to thinking about how my own musical journey has been influenced by people and stuff after reading Christian's blog. Here is my own timeline.

1990-1995: Basic Top 40 stuff, lots of KQ92 when they played new and old music, and the classics that my dad listened to. Got heavy into Nirvana, some Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Green Day, Aerosmith. Also basic rap through my friend Jeremy, although I still do not know what Spice 1 sounds like.

1995-1998: MTV and The EDGE. Thank God for these two things. Got into Oasis, Cake, Foo Fighters, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, basic Modern Rock of the time.

1998-2001: Mostly through friends. Heard They Might Be Giants through Kyle, rekindled my love for Weezer. Albums that I have never heard of through Peter Harold and Christian (Paul Barman, Rare Prince, Velvet Underground, Del, etc). Nick Miller introduced me to ATLiens and underground rap (Dead Prez...um no). Russ Olson of all people played "Stankonia" and it changed my perception of rap. Lots of pop punk through Louwerse and reading Billboard.

2001-Current: The internet allowed me to hear shit I read about in Spin and Billboard when I was a kid. The first MP3 I downloaded was in 1998 (Pearl Jam "Wishlist and some Archers of Loaf song). When I got Napster, I heard Kool Keith, old rap like Eric B and Rakim and lots of stuff by Pavement and indie rock groups. I also was introduced to more rap and R&B through Jeff and Christian, and actually grew to like the Velvet Underground through Peter. Its been a fantastic voyage.

No comments: