Friday, December 24, 2004

The Best (Of 2004) I Ever Was, I Was With You

Here are a few of my favorite albums from 2004. If I think of any more, I will post them.

Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand: This album was so refreshing to hear in a year where Ursher dominated everything. I love quasi-gay lyrics, and the fey posing of "Michael" and "Jacquline" fufilled my wildest desires. This is the album Bowie wishes he would've made after "Scary Monsters".

Rilo Kiley- More Adventuerous: The best alt country album written by ex child stars ever! The lead singer, Jenny Lewis, needs to be held. And Pinski from Salute Your Shorts plays instruments! Connor Oberst sings backups! The songs deal with pain and matters of the heart. "Portions For Foxes" is the best song ever about being resigned to fuck buddy status. Beautiful.

De La Soul- The Grind Date: A tight, lean album from a group that has been known to meander a bit. Sounds very contempoary, with "Shopping Bags" and "Church" needing to be played on the radio. Oh wait, Lil' John isn't on it. Nevermind. One of the many "underground" albums that should have been bigger than it was.

Beastie Boys- To The 5 Buroughs: Thanks guys for having a #1 ballsy enough to name drop the Kyoto treaty and Modells sporting goods on the same album. A classic, political, funny and beautiful album all the way through. Best since "Paul's Boutique," and that is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Green Day- American Idiot: I have come to the conclusion that this is better than "Dookie." Anything that has a nine minute song suite about disillusioned teens is epic and classic. It sounds like a baby made by The Kinks and The Clash. "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is my anthem for the next 4 years.

The Roots- The Tripping Point: On which the Roots quit jamming and started to write concise, rocking songs. "Stay Cool" was the #1 hit of the summer in an alternate universe in which Fat Joe died instead of Big Pun and Ashley Simpson did not have a career due to her sister. Yes, you are tighter than the Bushes with the Saudis, which is pretty damn tight.

Wilco- A Ghost Is Born: First off, I loved "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Then this came out, and it kicked that albums ass. Every album that these guys release is better than the last. "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" and "I'm A Wheel" take music in a scary new direction that I am prepared to venture to.

Mos Def - The New Danger: A fucking spooky album for a scary time. The cover is just plain frightening, and the music inside is uncompromising. I love the sloppy, loose rocking vibe. Having purchased this before "Black On Both Sides," I can see why more people felt that than this. This is not a pop friendly album, but it is incredibly important. I fear the Boogeyman. And who exactly are the quasi-homosexuals from "The Rape Over?"

Interpol- Antics: The first Interpol album should have been called, "Ian Curtis, We Love You!!" because it was a direct Joy Division homage. This takes the best parts of the first and adds feeling and warmth to it. "Slow Hands" and "Take You On A Crusie" are nearly perfect songs.

Prince- Musicology: I was worried to shit that Prince would deliver another "Rainbow Children." Thankfully, this wasn't the case. This is his best work since "The Gold Experience." All the songs are either sexy and/or funky, with "Cinnamon Girl" a should have been hit if payola wasn't in full effect. "Illuison, Coma Pimp and Circumstance" is the best funk since "Pussy Control." The shit, without a trace of Kanye anywhere.

The Killers- Hot Fuss: These kids think that they are Morrissey. They also like Duran Duran. So do I. We have a bond. Unfortunately, I have never had a fight on the promenade in the rain (my favorite lyric of the year) like Brendan Flowers did in "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine." I wish I did. Hopefully, I can someday. Always aspire, Jake.

Morrissey- You Are The Quarry: This is his best work since "Viva Hate." Actually, its probably one of the only listenable Morrissey solo joints, due to the fact that the production doesn't sound like the warmed over Smiths. Moz even sounds happy on, "I Like You." He also goes back to his old ways of shitting on the monarchy on "Irish Blood, English Heart." Never change, sweet Tommy Gunning prince of pain.

MORE TO COME...?

3 comments:

ChristiaN said...

O.K. first of all I don't think you've ever heard "The Rainbow Children" and second of all that album is fantastic.

Jake said...

I have heard the Rainbow Children and I found it really kind of...boring. Whats the deal with the Cody link? It aint working!

Jake said...

GANG OF FOUR!!! FUCK YES!!! THE SHIT, ONE OF THE BEST!!