Thursday, September 30, 2004

Generals And Majors Always Seem So Unhappy Unless They Got A War

First of all, I have something to get out there. I'm gay. Now, anyways, I have to thank Christian for bringing up the fact that Cat Stevens supported the Fawta on Salamin Rushdie. Had I remembered this, I would have not supported Cat Stevens (or Mr. Islam, as he now likes to be known). I have read some of Rushdie's work and I find him a fascinatingly strange man. I also remember hearing of the Fawta as a child and wondering how a government could sanction the killing of an individual for a work of fiction. Honestly, this shaped how I thought of Muslims as a child, and it was not a very good opinon. So what it comes down to is that Cat Stevens the singer sang gentle songs, and Yousef Islam, or whatever he likes to be called, is obviously not a man of peace for supporting such a horrid bounty. This does not change how I feel about the governments policy of stripping civil rights via the Patriot Act, though.

No comments: