Friday, March 04, 2005

Liberian Girl

I keep getting these random emails to my U of M account (which, by the way no one knows) from some guy in Liberia. For those who didn't know, Charles Taylor is a international war criminal who raped and slaughtered thousands. I put the best part in bold.

Dear Holt,
This is a very private and confidential contact I am making with you. I am Vaani
Passawe, a close aide of the former Liberian President, Charles Taylor who is
presently in Calabar, a town in South East Nigeria, on political asylum. He had
been wrongly accused by human rights group of masterminding conflicts in West
Africa. He was unjustly indicted in June last year by a U.N.-backed kangaroo war
crimes tribunal in Sierra Leone on trumped-up charges that he armed and trained
rebels in exchange for diamonds.
But the real criminals are the rebels of the so-called Liberians United for
Reconciliation and Democracy and their allies who were for over three years
attacking government forces in an attempt to oust Taylor. They went against the
wishes of the ordinary Liberian people because Taylor and his National Patriotic
Party had an overwhelming victory when special elections were held in 1997.
To put an end to all the killings and lootings, Taylor in July last year
accepted an offer of asylum from Nigeria's president. And being a man of his
words, on August 11 last year he stepped down as president and handed over power
to Vice President Moses Blah and left for Nigeria. But sadly those who came to
correct the ills are worse offenders and today the poor masses of Liberia are in
more pains.
However, the enemies of Taylor are not done yet. In a senseless witch-hunting
they are mounting international pressure to have him extradited and prosecuted.
All his assets and properties are being systematically frozen. We are in danger
of being exterminated and we have to act fast. To save for the rainy day, it is
my intention to relocate some funds overseas hence the contact with you. I have
in my possession funds amounting to US$15.5 million and I am seeking for foreign
assistance to help in relocating it. For safety and security reasons it will not
be wise to attempt investing the funds here. The environment is not conducive
and there is naked hostility orchestrated by anti-Taylor forces.If you can
assist in relocating and investing the funds, I will be willing to give you 20%
which is US$3.1million. I hope you will understand that my entire life and

future may depend on this money.
The major thing I will demand from you is the absolute assurance that the money
will be safe and you will not sit on it when it gets to you.If you are ready to
assist please contact me immediately. I shall be most grateful if you will be
confidential and keep this message entirely to yourself.
Please contact me through this email address only for security reasons.
Best regards,
Vaani Passawe

No comments: