Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Trackjackets Of The World, Unite And Take Over

The Shins concert was an amazing showcase. The openers (The Brunettes) were entertaining and kind of interesting, some kind of weird cross between a high school marching band, a 60s girl group and an alt-rock band. And the lead singer was hot, and she played a Moog/Xylaphone combo thing. The crowd was my only gripe. Yes, I went alone, which was rather fun. I just sat in the corner and read the City Pages between bands, and I also played some 1945 and almost got onto the high score list. But the crowd was a bunch of high school kids. It was so weird. And they weren't seniors, either. They were young as hell. And many appeared to be drunk. Also, the dudes all wore trackjackets and either Milla style old man hats or Justin Timberlake knit caps. Too many indie fucktard poseurs. I did see some moms and a guy with a kid on his shoulders, which was the oddest thing that I have ever seen at a show. I also heard a young ass kid say he bought Del Tha Funkee Homosapiens first album when it came out when he was a freshmen. I am not sure, but that album came out in 1991 I think. He would have been like 6 at the time by my calculations.

It's sad that there were so many poseurs there, because the Shins really can play some fantastic pop songs. The band ripped through most of their first two albums and the bassist/keyboardist started rapping "Hypmotize" when there was a break in the action, calling it come side project shit that he wasn't ready to drop yet. They also turned "Kissing The Lipless" into a faster, upbeat rock song instead of the plaintive ballad that it is on "Chutes Too Narrow." The little girls understood though. The concert was a straight up Beatles moment, with the girls screaming constantly. I read that the Shins can party like Motley Crue, and after seeing the way that they commanded the audience, I wouldn't doubt it.

No comments: