Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Quasi Homosexuals Be Runnin This Rap Shit

The new Mos Def album is quite an interesting work. I was expecting something completely different when I picked it up. I was shocked that the albums first half is hard rock. I knew of Black Jack Johnson, but I thought that it was just a live act. I should of known something by the cover of the CD. What a disturbing image. Seriously, nothing that could be contained in that cover would be straightforward. I like the fact that the album sounds rough, almost like a demo more than a finished product. Usually, I am not a fan of long albums, but if the album is a sloppy joyride then I am more open to it. "The White Album" and "Sign Of The Times" are two that don't follow any given formula and do not get boring. After the first listen, I really appreciate that "The New Danger" was conceived in the same vein. Sure, it may be unfocused (especially on the rock songs) and overly long, but at least he went out there and tried something new. I hate that modern music has had relatively little to offer lately. And "Modern Marvel" is truly a great song, and "Sex, Drugs and Money" is pretty good also. So the experimentation paid off in some areas. Fuck most of the negative reviews that the album has gotten. Like I said before, I would rather have an unfocused sloppy album with some great songs than anything by Nelly or Chingy or those other Phony Rappers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new Mos Def album is not unfocused and sloppy, you sir are thinking of yourself. -j.a. hill

Jake said...

Unfocused and sloppy is a good thing.