Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ooooh, I'm Lookin For Clues

Is there some artists that you always thought you hated? For me, it has always been the Doors. I fucking hate the Doors. I hate their entire concept, and most of their songs. "Love Her Madly" and that one song that Jay-Z samples are decent, but otherwise I think Jim Morrisson was a sham and a phony who put out hippie bullshit to seem intellegent. He also liked butt sex a lot, but that's neither here nor there. Anyways, the next paragraph will get to my point.

I was listening to the Muzak (called HearMusic) at work about a year ago, and I heard a song that sounded like the Strokes. I mean, I really thought that Julian Casablancas was preforming some solo material. I ran into the back to find out who in the holy hell sang the song. To my surprise, it was "Johnny and Mary" by ROBERT FUCKING PALMER!

Robert Palmer usually falls into my Doors category when thinking about popular music. I fucking cannot stand him. Sure, I sang "Addicted To Love" at my Uncle Ron's wedding when I was five, but I also played with Go-Bots. But "Johnny and Mary" struck some sort of chord with me. It took me nearly a year to find the song on any P2P service, and also that long to track down the album it came off of "Clues".

You know what? The album is fucking fantastic. It was released in 1980, but could have come out later in the decade. All the songs on it are both catchy and kind of alternativey. "Looking For Clues" is the absolute jam, along with "Johnny and Mary". "I Dream Of Wires" is pretty Thomas also. This hasn't made me go back and listen to "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On", but I may have to give some other early period Palm some shine.

Funny side note: I brought up to my mother that I bought this album over Thanksgiving dinner. She, and I quote, said "That album fucking sucks." I tried to explain that it wasn't the one with "Simply Irresistible" on it. She just said, "Oh, I know what album it is" and left it at that. My mom went to the Aveda hair school from 1979-81, so she's sort of familair with new wave/punk (her favorite song, all time, is "Allison" by Elvis Costello). I am just not sure why she hates a very obscure Robert Palmer album.

No comments: