Thursday, October 19, 2006

I Don't Want Your Love To Bring Me Down

I have been listening to these late 70s and 80s airchecks for KDWB and WLOL lately. This stuff is priceless. Both stations were playing MC Hammer weekend tickets, and one had a KDWB Top Eight at Eight with the following (im assuming winter of '90, by the songs)
#8-"So Close" Hall and Oates (Produced by Bon Jovi!)-Never Heard this one
#7 "Unskinny Bop" Poison
#6 "Freedom '90" George Michael
#5 "Ice Ice Baby" Vanilla Ice
#4"Blaze Of Glory" Jon Bon Jovi
#3 Wasnt Listed
#2 "U Can't Touch This-MC Hammer
#1 "Cradle Of Love" Billy Idol

They also gave away tickets to the MC Hammer concert, called it mint, then followed it up with "I'll Remember You" by Skid Row. There was an ad for a shopping spree at Rosedale where you could shop at Carson's, Wards or Dayton's. All the station played was pop rap and hair metal. What times. I remember sitting in my basement and playing this shit on my clock radio when I made couch forts. Don't even front on the couch fort. Hell, I'd still make a couch fort today if it were socially acceptable.

I remember when "Mr.Wendal" by Arrested Development was on the Top Eight at Eight, and also that song by Mariah Careys backup singer (Pretty sure it was a remake of "Just To Be Close To You"). My mom was a huge WLOL fan, and she got really upset when it went off the air in '91. I think she listened to Steve Cochran in the mornings on KDWB though.

One of the WLOL ones is from 1985 and they hype Huey, Katrina and the Waves, "Rock and Roll Girls" (and its B-Side "Centerfield") by John Fogerty, and "The Authority Song" by Johnny Cougar. What was also weird was that they played "Young Americans" by Bowie (came out in 1975)and "Trapped" by Bruce Springsteen (which I remember hearing a lot, but was never a single). Even "Paisley Park" by Prince got played. They brought up the WLOL bumper stickers you could pick up at 7 Eleven or Photomat. We had two on our Cordoba back in the day because I used to think the WLOL van was going to give us $99.50

I also found some old radio broadcasts from a FM station called U 101 that played top 40 from 74 to 76. They bumped so much Zeppelin, it was freaking ridiculous. They also shit talked Fridley and Gerald Ford. Really good shit.

No comments: