Monday, August 01, 2005

Daddy Was A Cop On The East Side Of Chicago

My weekend was tiring. I worked 15 hours between the two jobs yesterday, eight on Saturday, and six on Friday. Still, I found some time to chill at Jeffs and have a few beers on Saturday night. It was kind of cool seeing the whole gang there. I cannot remember the last time Mok, Quade and Cody all were together. It was a good time, with many mixes bumped.

I've been broke as a joke and as corrupt as a senator, so I have been listening to a lot of weird shit due to the fact that I can't buy CDs like usual. I have been bumping mad 70s AM Gold CDs, playing shit like "The Night Chicago Died," "Billy Don't Be A Hero," and "Fooled Around and Fell In Love." This got me thinking about the current state of radio.

Back in the 70s, KDWB played everything. I found a site that has their old playlists, and Black Sabbath would be followed by Sly and the Family Stone, which would be followed by Sammy Davis Jr. Now, its all shitty rap and pop metal. Where is the variety? Another thing is that most of the bands that got radio airplay back in the day were pre-fab studio bands. They would just have the same five dudes record songs under different names. Like "Beach Baby" was by First Class, and "Hitchin A Ride" was by Vanity Fare. But it was the same band. This shit could fly today, because MTV doesn't air videos and only older bands draw good numbers touring. I wonder why no one works that angle? Oh well, stations like JACK and XM will kill terrestrial radio as we know it in the next five years.

No comments: