Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lilac Wine Is Heady

I think that I am one of the few who do this, but I actively observe random people when I'm out in public. I do not view this as perverted or weird, it's just something that I do to pass the time. Well, I was on the commuter bus and I couldn't get a seat, mainly because of this random punk chick (who looked like Darlene from "Roseanne" except way more ugly). When Sarah Gilbert actually scooted her ass over, I saw a couple across from me.

The girl was cutesy and under made up (the type that doesn't know she is actually good looking) and the guy was really dopey looking and dressed rather schleppily (the type who looks like he's played a little too much Halo in his dorm with a dude named Jeremy). Both had the look of total unhappiness that one only gets when they are totally uncomfortable with their current situation. At one point, the guy kissed the girl on the cheek and then looked around as if to say, "I have a girlfriend. Does anyone care?" The guy kept yanking at his T-Shirt to cover up his stomach, and they both just looked off into space for the whole bus ride, save for a few awkward head-on-the-shoulder moments.

God, I felt sorry for them. What I saw, at least, was two people who were either way uncomfortable with each others company or so comfortable with each other they were bored. Both looked trapped. As someone who has been in a relationship that probably went on too long, I know the signs. Shit, I wanted to yell at both of them "you're fucking 19 (couldn't be older than that). Life is way too short to be doing this to yourselves."

Funny part about all this was I was listening to my iPod, as I usually do when I am riding public transport. After "Picnic By The Motorway" by Suede got done (as I was about to leave the bus) "Teenage Love" by Slick Rick came on. I found this too apt, so I decided to skip it and play "Eternal Life" by Jeff Buckley. The only rocking song on "Grace." The direction he should have went, so hipsters and fake sensitive types wouldn't have claimed him for their own. I wonder if Jeff was trapped in a meaningless relationship in college? Probably not. I bet he did OK with the ladies, though.

No comments: