Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I Hear You Guys Like Vodka and Orange Juice...Yeah!!!

I saw the Deftones on Sunday. It was spectacular. Chino was obviously either REALLY feeling it or he was bombed as a mofo. He screamed into the mic for like a minute and a half, then said, "uh, that was from our, uh new album that came out, uh last week." Trouble is, that doesn't come out until May or June, and their isn't a title yet. Oh well. I saw "Knife Party," "Change," "Be Quiet and Drive," and a version of "7 Words" where he cock teased "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer by starting the "Oh yeah, all right, feels good inside" part. Then he taunted the band to play something else. The openers kind of really sucked. Thrice was decent, Atreyu had a singing drummer, which was cool and a dude who thought he was Eddie Van Halen. Story of the Year sucked ass, as did As I Lay Dying. All the in-between bands blew, including the dudes who banged on trash cans.

Bought some new albums over the last week. The new Prince is pretty good, I really feel the songs "Fury" and "Lolita" because they sound like some old school jams. Not too fond of the song with his protege or that one about incense and candles. It just seems a little cliche. Also picked up the new Ben Harper, which I really think kicks some major ass. I like the way the album is split between some soft acoustic, orchestral jams and some hard classic rock sounding cuts. It also came in a cool box. Such a strong showing after "Diamonds on the Inside" makes me kind of want to give that one another listen. I also bought "Under the Big Black Sun" by X, "Songs In The Key Of Life" by Stevie Wonder (I had that one on vinyl before though), "Steal This Album" by The Coup, "Super Black Market Clash" by The Clash, "Lifes Great When You're Straight...Yeah" by Black Grape, and Test Icicles self titled. Oh, and the "Gold Lion" single by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I used to think that they sucked ass, but this song is the new truth. So poppy that it could blow up on pop radio if they got some balls.

No comments: