Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I DON'T Love My, Ahem, Chick

Busta Rhymes is the Rod Stewart of Hip Hop, except way less talented and his fall was way worse. Heres where I'm going with this. Rod Stewart released some amazing shit in the late 60s and early 70s both solo and as lead singer of The Faces. I mean, the man was super talented. But then "Maggie May" went to number one and Rod realized that he could put out shitty lite pop singles and bank hardcore. Some of those pop singles were great (I enjoy "Youre In My Heart" and "Some Guys Have All The Luck", as corny as they are) but most were utter bullshit (like "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and "Tonights The Night"). Basically, Rod sold out in the worst possible way.

Busta, on the other hand, had the potential and didn't maximize it. His verse on "Scenario" by Tribe Called Quest is great, and he released a few catchy as hell singles. But since about '98 (when he came on the VMAs with Martha Stewart AND released the Flipmode Squad on an unsuspecting public) Busta has churned out unmemorable pop songs. Besides "I Love My Bitch" I cannot think of a Busta Rhymes song in the last five years. I remember he did one with Mariah, but I can't recall what the hell it was or even the hook.

The worst part is the history of music has tons of weird shit like this. Todd Rundgren started to put out crap after "Something/Anything". Elton John went bye bye from artistic credibility land in 1975, about the same time as Paul McCartney. I guess that theres no real point to this, other than Rod Stewart should never release another album again.

No comments: