Monday, August 01, 2011

Old School Video of the Day "In These Arms" by Bon Jovi

MTV turned 30 today. Think about that for a second...

Today's video is by a band that probably wouldn't have been huge without MTV. Sure, some of Bon Jovi's singles may have cracked radio in the pre-video days, but MTV made the group mega stars. I mean, Dokken rocked harder and had better singles (well, pre "Slippery When Wet") but no one remembers "Breaking The Chains" the same way they remember comparable Bon Jovi fare like "In and Out of Love" and "Runaway".



And guess what? Yep, it's a concert video. I honestly cannot remember a Bon Jovi video that is non-concert. Well, maybe that "Livin On A Prayer" remake they did called "It's My Life" but I think they may have even been on stage in that. Also, please note that this is from the JBJ era where he thought he was going to be an ACTORRRR and trimmed his Aqua Net perfect mane for a quasi-lesbian joint. (Maybe that is why this only cracked the top 30?).

Anyways, this song is probably my favorite work by the group that isn't called "Bad Medicine" or came off of "Slippery When Wet". I recently found the 45 for this one in a stack I hadn't gone through in a while and I have been bumping it on the reg. Brings back warm childhood memories of Ghost in the Graveyard and watching Studs.

2 comments:

Mr.Christian said...

I get a kick out of the fact that MTV celebrated it's 30th anniversary by showing a marathon of Teen Mom, Jersey Shore and other garbage. The MTV30 Shows on VH1 classic were pretty cool though.

Jake said...

Yeah I watched those too...that Rod video they showed during the first hour was Faces like and sort of fire.

Jimmy the Cab driver still annoyed me...but im sure not you Christian